Questions About Drip?
DripTips eNewsletterGet the latest news, tips, special offers, and more with the DripTips eNewsletter.
Feedback from the FieldLet us know about your experiences with drip irrigation.
Tag Archives: pressure compensation
You probably don’t expect to find much drip irrigation on a field with 6° to 8° slopes. Yet, Lon Bohn and his brother-in-law, Don Blaschko, who run B&B Partners near Gibbon, Nebraska, operate such a subsurface drip irrigation system. Although they already had 997 acres under center pivot systems, the partners still had one 52-acre, irregular-shape field that presented a challenge.
With a 39-foot variation within 300 yards of the field length and more than 30 feet of grade from side to side, furrow irrigation was obviously out of the question. Continue reading
After several years of intense and dedicated development, Toro has launched FlowControl Drip Tape, an exciting new product that creates an entirely new category within the drip irrigation marketplace. In the past, growers had to choose between uniformity and control over flow rates. Now, FlowControl drip tape gives growers the best of both worlds: improved uniformity (compared to turbulent flow devices), and superior ability to control the overall system flow rate (compared to pressure-compensating devices).
This innovative new product gives growers a level of control not possible in the past. Now growers have a new tool to help them achieve their objectives – increasing yield and quality, while at the same time using water, fertilizers and other resources in the best way possible. Continue reading
At Toro, we recently launched our new pressure-compensating sprinkler, Micro Sprinkler PC. Specifically designed for orchards, vineyards, and nursery applications where undulating terrain and long lateral lengths are challenging, Micro Sprinkler PC’s unique pressure-compensating design provides uniform flows and diameters over a wide range of operating pressures. Plus, the Micro Sprinkler PC has a wider diameter of throw than our previous models. Other capabilities of the new Micro Sprinkler PC include:
- Wide diameter of throw from 16 feet to 31 feet, depending on sprinkler model
- Pressure-compensating sprinkler provides uniform flow over a wide range of operating pressures from 20 psi to 60 psi
- Low angle of throw to maximize irrigation under foliage
- Easy identification in eight color-coded flow rates ranging from 9 GPH – 40 GPH
- Snap-fit bearing provides easy field inspection and maintenance
- Improved distribution characteristics with larger droplet sizes that are less susceptible to wind
- Anti-insect/dust proof spinner retracts to protect nozzle when not in operation
- Optional break-off deflector tab allows the sprinkler to be placed near a newly planted tree to concentrate water where the roots are developing
- Fully assembled models available with pre-installed tube and stake
Lonnie Bohn and Don Blaschko installed a Toro SDI system on a 53-acre field four years ago and have seen higher yields due to increased water efficiency. “We started to look at the drip system because of the lower pressure and absolute efficiency. None of the water runs off,” Bohn says. “It’s all underground, so there is no evaporation.” Continue reading